Archives for December 2015
FROM THE PROS:
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the holiday season surrounding Christmas and New Year’s Day tends to be one of the busiest times of the year for traveling. In fact, travel during that time of the year increases 23 percent, compared to the rest of the year. As many people take to the highways and skies, there are some tips they should keep in mind in order to help keep them safer and healthier along the way.
“It’s a big mistake to just pack and go and not put much thought into your travel wellness,” explains Tina Aldatz, chief executive officer of travel wellness company, Savvy Travelers. “You want to make sure that you pack smart, keep toiletries simple, and be safe and healthy and try to avoid getting sick. That’s the best way to get the most out of your traveling and enjoy it more.”
Your vacation starts when you board the plane, so indulge in a decadent chocolate and a glass of red wine, then relax with a great new album or a inspiring book. Cozy up in a luxurious wrap and noise cancelling headphones, maybe even bring some socks to keep your feet warm. Wipe off your makeup and slather on a rich moisturizer for hands, face, and a good lip balm, so upon touch down you arrive fabulously.
Here are some holiday travel tips that everyone should know:
· Stay clean. Germs abound when traveling, especially if you are on an airplane or cruise ship. Consider taking a Savvy Travelers kit (available at Nordstrom.com) along, which will help eliminate the germs and reduce the risks. The kits are lightweight and offer sanitizing luxe sheets for hands, counters, airplane trays and seats, hotel remote controls, and more.
· Leave early. Lots of people will be traveling on the same days and to many of the same places. Leave early so there’s extra time and nobody will feel stressed by being in a time crunch. It’s better to arrive at the airport early, for example, than to be rushing through security and to the gate to make it on time.
· Pack lightly. Get past the urge to pack more than what is needed, as extra items will just slow everyone down. Pack just those things that are needed for the trip and can be mixed and matched for multiple uses. Less packing will usually also mean less to stress about. Also, if you do a lot of shopping at your holiday destination (or receive a lot of gifts), consider shipping them home. The small fee will be worth alleviating any stress that trying to lug them back would create.
· Have patience. Holiday travel can test your patience, because you are often dealing with large crowds and weather delays. Find ways to keep occupied if you are stuck in an airport, for example. Take a deck of cards, ear plugs with calming music, and a book to read, such as the new autobiography by Tina Aldatz, “From Stilettos to the Stock Exchange,” a compelling and heartwarming story of success against all odds. Be sure to also pack some snacks in case there’s a delay in reaching the next meal.
· Pick your days wisely. If possible, choose to travel on the non-peak days during the holiday season. This will help ensure things are a little less busy, which should make for a more enjoyable travel experience.
· Keep it unwrapped. Those taking presents along with them should avoid wrapping them ahead of time if they are flying. Wrapped gifts may be unwrapped by security. Rather, take flat packed gift bags and tissue and wrap them when you arrive at your destination.
“Being prepared is half the battle of any travel that you will do this holiday season,” says Margie Floris, co-founder of Savvy Travelers, a marketing expert who also helped Foot Petals to become globally successful. “Also, take a carry-on and you won’t suffer when you arrive at your destination and find your luggage lost or delayed. If you are prepared then you are going to find it less stressful and you will end up a savvy traveler!”
Savvy Travelers offers a line of products that help to keep travelers healthy and comfortable. The company offers a line of pre-packaged individual sanitizing personal and surface luxe sheets, antiperspirant deodorant sheets, mouth cleansing sheets, and more. Savvy Travelers travel wellness products are available for only $10 a box, with 6 individually wrapped sheets per box, at all Nordstrom locations around the country. Making a great stocking stuffer, they include the following: “Take Offz” hyper hydrating facial cleanser and moisturizer sheets, “In The Klear” lens & screen cleaner sheets, “No Sweat” deodorant sheets, and “Speak Easy” mouth cleansing sheets. For more information, visit the site at: www.savvytravelers.com or shop Nordstrom.
About Savvy Travelers: Dedicated to overall travel wellness while offering lifestyle components for both personal and surface use. Savvy Travelers high performance products are individually packed in a disposable sheet form that removes 99 percent of surface contamination. Proudly made in California, Savvy Travelers’ line of convenient, single-use, eco-friendly, disposable products help consumers carry all of their must-haves while they travel for a healthy, easy, on-the-go experience. Keeping travelers healthy for all their destinations! Follow @Savvy_Travelers on social media and like us on Facebook.
# # #
U.S. Department of Transportation. U.S. Holiday Travel. http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/america_on_the_go/us_holiday_travel/html/entire.html>
Congratulations Geri C. of Norcross, Georgia, you are the lucky winner of October’s Giveaway of the beautiful Red Zink Handbag. Enjoy!
The JAUNT HANDBAG – LAVA from the Zink Collection is “Inspired by the past with an eye toward the future, the Jaunt is a modern heirloom piece. A contemporary design featuring optimal practicality, this luxurious carryall is a must-have for any chic globetrotter.”
Handbag details include:
- Full grain vegetable dyed leather
- Solid brass hardware
- Fully lined natural canvas with leather detailing
- Leather base with nut and bolt feet
- Four interior pockets, three open, one zippered
- Length 16.5” Width 5” Height 11.5”
- Strap Drop 8”
Travertine Spa Collection continues to lead innovation in luxury aromatherapy products by introducing a limited edition Black Label of their ever-popular Steam Shower Spray, designed exclusively for The Four Seasons Hotel Gift Bag to honor Golden Globe Nominees and Talent. Limited to less than 100 units, the Steam Shower Spray is made with pure eucalyptus oil and rare imported saffron. Spray downward into the shower stream and enjoy the inhalation benefits as the steam rises and turns your shower into your very own spa. Eucalyptus and Eucalyptus and Cinnamon versions also available at the Travertine Spa Atelier. Learn more about Travertine Spa Collection and purchase products at TravertineSpa.com. Follow on Instagram @TravertineSpaCollection for current updates.
With the holidays that have just past, many people received, or gave, gift cards as presents. Most of those, or others, may already have gift and debit cards that they’ve only used once, or have never used at all!
Most of the time, the gift card holder can’t remember what the balance is on the card. Due to inconvenience, busy lives, or just unable to access info via internet or phone, many cards go unredeemed.
However, there is now an affordable solution! A brand new unique, sturdy, easy-to-use, gift card sleeve that helps solve this dilemma…
It’s called the SleevePal®..a gift card sleeve with balance log. The SleevePal® was created, patented, trademarked and manufactured by a single mom and her teenage daughter, Beni. When they didn’t know the balance left on her gift cards because she could not find the little white receipts, and the internet was down, they came up with this idea. SleevePal® helps keep track of transactions and remaining balance left on gift, and even debit cards! The variety of patterns and colors are loved by not just females, but males as well!
She lives in New York City, is a buyer for Ralph Lauren, has five best friends, and has the most amazing style of the 90’s. She even has a haircut named after her. Rachel Green is practically living every fashionista’s dream.
Now that “Friends” is streaming on Netflix, I obviously had to re-watch the whole series again for the fifth time (not an exaggeration). During my binge watch, I couldn’t help but notice just how amazing her outfits are, especially now that the 90’s style is coming back. Her style is also so diverse that she could be dressed in overalls in one scene and a mini skirt in another.
Throughout the show, I have picked out my top 5 favorite outfits that Rachel Green proudly wore during the run of “Friends,” along with some affordable versions so you can recreate her trendy looks.
1. The Business Woman
I love this look because I never see business styled outfits with color. I only ever see black. The green really grabs your attention but is still professional enough to wear to work. You can find a similar window pane skirt at Nordstrom.
2. Bring On the Overalls
I am not ashamed to admit but I have purchased three pairs of overalls this season. Rachel wears overalls a lot throughout the show. This is just one of the many adorable ways she styles them. You can find the perfect pair of overalls at Forever 21.
3. American Pride
I was never really a fan of shorts and tights until I saw this look. I love the way that the high waisted shorts are paired with a casual top. It makes it more of an everyday outfit rather than a “going out” outfit. I had a hard time trying to find a simple shirt that says “USA” but you can get the same look by piecing an American Eagle baseball cut shirt with some high waisted black shorts, from Nasty Gal, and sheer black tights.
4. Knee Socks and Plaid Skirts
This look is definitely my favorite Rachel Green outfit. It defines the meaning of cute and casual. I can’t go anywhere without socks so I love that the knee socks are used as a statement accessory. You can find these awesome socks at Kohl’s and the plaid skirt at Macy’s.
5. The Series Finale
The last outfit that Rachel Green was seen wearing before the show came to a final close was this stunning assemble. This outfit was so popular amongst fans that it was displayed in the Pop Up Central Perk in New York City last fall. Snatch these black heeled boots at Guess and this gray skirt at Gap.
I will never get tired of Rachel’s fabulous, unique style. The only thing I am missing is that amazing two bedroom Greenwich Village apartment that I can’t afford. At least I can just live vicariously through the lives of Rachel and her five best pals.
Ravin ( Beverly Hills Christmas )and chyanne spangler
Holiday time is perfect for the celebration of togetherness and nothing brings a family closer than decorating the living space.
There are so many ways to decorate with many options. Get the kids together and give them craft supplies to make decorations. Assign a space that they can decorate any way they see fit. Take out all the old decorations and lay them out. My favorites place to get inexpensive decorations is the 99 cent store or the dollar store. Tinsel can make a great supplement for that holiday feel. You can also make large candy wrappers with old tubes of toilet paper or paper towels after they are done and cover them with any colored paper or material and tie them off at each end.
Also food like stringed popcorn and hanging candy canes can be used for holiday
also baking cookies and decorating them then displaying them on plates gives the family a sense of warmth.
So get together with your family and decorate this holiday season.
The holidays are the ideal time to stretch the dollar as much as possible. For glam girls who want glowing skin, it’s hard to compromise looking good. Rachel Sharoff is a licensed aesthetician at Skintology Medi-Spa in Manhattan. She states that, “there are certain treatments that should only be performed in a medi-spa or in a dermatologist’s office, however, when money is tight there are DIY ways to keep your skin in great condition.”
Below are several of Rachel’s suggestions and tips
GO AT HOME HIGH TECH
I recommend my acne clients buy a high frequency device to help keep their breakouts under control in between treatments. High frequency devices use argon gas to emit oxygen, killing the bacteria below the skin. Technology is now very safe and effective for home use with proper instruction. And they are also very inexpensive
USE PETROLEUM JELLY.
This common, inexpensive product has several uses for skin care including:
· Moisturizing rough, cracked feet, elbows, and hands; dry cuticles and lips; and peeling nails.
· Preventing chafing when running or biking.
· Protecting kids’ scrapes and bumps; and applying as a diaper ointment.
CONSIDER DUAL-FUNCTION PRODUCTS.
Examples include a moisturizer plus sunscreen and a lip balm with sunscreen.
MAKE YOUR OWN MOISTURIZING FACE MASK WITH AT HOME FOOD
· 1/3 of a ripe medium banana
· 1 teaspoon of honey
· 1 large egg
· 1 teaspoon of whole milk
Heat the milk until it comes to a gentle boil and then remove from the heat. Allow the milk to cool until a skin forms on the surface. Skim the skin from the surface and combine with the banana, honey, and egg. Mix to form a smooth paste, and then apply it to your skin for 10 minutes, rinsing away with cool water.
MAKE YOUR OWN MOISTURIZING HAIR MASK WITH SUPERMARKET FOOD
· Avocado: avocado is one of nature’s greatest moisturizers, rich in vitamins such as E & B and nutrients. Its natural oils will give your hair the moisture it’s lacking. Use about half an avocado, mash it, use on it’s own or with other ingredients.
· Honey: honey is moisturizing and a humectant (has the ability to cling onto moisture) making it suitable for dry hair. Be aware that it also lightens the color of your hair (bleaching effect). Use as much as necessary (not too much or you’ll be left with sticky hair), can be mixed into other ingredients such as the avocado or banana. Apply to damp hair.
· Mayonnaise: sounds disgusting, but mayonnaise is made of eggs, vinegar and oil, all three of which have been used for many years to give volume, shine and hydration to hair. For dry and damaged hair it’s best used mixed with avocado, although it can be used alone.
· Olive oil: try to use extra virgin olive oil for best results, this has been used for centuries for hair and skin moisturizing as it is nourishing and strengthening, perfect for dry and damaged hair! Can be mixed in with other ingredients such as avocado or banana, OR to use on its own; work it through warm, damp hair as needed (not too much or risk not being able to rinse it) from roots to tips. Wrap either a warm towel or a plastic bag over your hair and leave for 20 minutes, then rinse.
GIVE YOURSELF AN AT-HOME SPA TREATMENT
For simple in-home hydrotherapy, start out your day with a hot steamy shower and just as you are finishing switch the water to cold for about 15 seconds. Repeat the process for two minutes. This hydrotherapy technique will revitalize your skin and give it a glow by stimulating the flow of blood through the skin. (The approximate price of this treatment at a spa: $95!)
Use cotton pads or gauze, as opposed to cotton balls, with your toner. Cotton pads remove remaining dead skin, dirt and oil, and this better prepares your skin for your treatment serums. Using cotton pads or gauze also prevents excess product usage, thereby saving you money every time!
THE PERFECT SUB FOR A PRICEY EYE CREAM
Slice raw potatoes and put them on your eyelids to reduce puffiness.
GET THE MOST FROM YOUR MOISTURIZER
Apply it to damp skin as soon as you get out of the shower to lock in moisture. For your face, look for moisturizers that say “oil-free” or “non-comedogenic,” as these won’t clog your pores.
Skintology Skin & Laser Center is an all inclusive destination for all your beauty needs. Whether it’s laser hair removal, Botox injections or a hydrating facial, our trusted staff is dedicated to making your experience comfortable and pleasant. We offer customized treatments that are specifically designed for your skin type. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we design treatments to produce the best results possible. Experienced Cosmetic Surgeons and Laser Technicians utilize the most advanced FDA approved laser technologies from renowned companies such as Cynosure, Candela, Lumenis, & Deka, to provide the most effective and safe treatments.
Buy it now! Issue #1 of 2016 turn to page 58 and enter to win your very own box of swag from It’s a Glam Thing with products like Gerard Cosmetics, Apothederm Skin Care, ROCKSTAR White Teeth Whitening, Pura d’or Pure and Organic Hair Care and Dr. Ronald D. Blatt’s PrivateRX products for women’s intimate skin care.