Looking for an amazing workout where you can tone up and burn loads of calories in about an hour or less? Well, look no further than your neighborhood spin studio. I know, I know….you’re saying “wasn’t spinning popular in [like] the late 90’s”? Well, yes…but, according to SHAPE magazine, spinning is a fitness trend that is definitely back. And, celebrities like Lady Gaga, Calista Flockhart, Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise are big fans.
So, trying to keep up with the apparently popular-again fitness craze, I decided to check out PEDAL, one of LA’s newest studio cycling facilities. Located in the historic Arroyo Seco neighborhood near the Rose Bowl, they offer indoor cycling, TRX suspension training classes and outdoor group runs and rides. Director Bryan Yates says they’re also active sponsors of several local fitness events including today’s Team Bicykillers Wine & Spin Event benefitting the AIDS Lifecycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
So what draws celebs to places like PEDAL? Well, it’s pretty hard to pass up the benefits*:
- Weight Loss: Spinning burns calories at a high rate — often 400-1000 calories in a 1-hour class.
- Strength: In your core, legs, glutes and back
- Body Shaping: Melt away flab and cellulite
- Emotional: Spinning produces a huge endorphin rush in the brain, leaving you feeling refreshed, satisfied and accomplished.
- Heart Health: High intensity cardio activity improves your overall health, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Joint Health: Spinning is a safe, low-impact workout. The circular motion eliminates pounding on joints and lower back, making it a great way to get in shape without damaging your body.
She looks amazing….okay, I think I’m sold!
(* Fitness information courtesy of PEDAL – A Spin Studio, 266 Monterey Road, South Pasadena, CA 91030)